Tuesday 20 July 2021

My First 2-Page Spread Painting

 
'View Of The Elbe From Atop The Frauenkirche in Dresden'
Acrylic on paper
21cm x 17cm
2021

. . .

Today in Malaysia, it is a public holiday, so I have quite a lot of time on my hands and right as I finished my breakfast this morning, I had this urge to try a two-page spread in my sketchbook. It had been a long time coming I guess. I’ve seen some artists online having done it, but it had never occurred to me to try it until now. 

I just needed to find a suitable subject for it. I did entertain ideas of one or two original scenes, but those didn’t pan out as well in sketch. In the end, I went to my stash of old travel photos and found this one, taken back in 2017 in Dresden.

Here, the main features that needed to pop out would be the bridges, the river, the two towers and the sky. Everything else just needed to be roughly dabbed in to suggest the impression of buildings in the city. 

I took some liberties with the sky, since it would make up most of the picture and I’d thought to do something exciting with it. 

So after a few hours, by lunch time, I finished the picture, and here it is. 



No comments:

Post a Comment