Monday 7 June 2021

I'm Still Not Over 'A Hidden Life'

'Back to Sankt Radegund', Acrylic on paper, 2021.

It has been two days since I watched Terrence Malick's 'A Hidden Life', and I have still not completely recovered from it, so in my process of trying to get over it, I came across this screencap of the film on Google Image that then motivated me to paint.

I love the way the mountains and the woods look in this picture and I wanted to learn how to capture that at least, especially with how the mountains in the far distance disappear into the light.

So to begin, I had some sketches made in my small sketchbook:
 

After that, I transferred the lines over to my larger sketchbook. 


I then started with the tone shading, using blue, to help me visualize the picture roughly. 


Once I have that mapped out, I start with my painting process, starting from the furthest distance way in the back and then slowly making my way to the foreground.








The figures were especially hard to paint and I realised I still lacked practice on human figures, especially when it came to painting. Something to consider in the future.

But regardless I thought it was overall still alright. Then I was about to stop here but then I noticed that the main figure herself, isn't really standing out, so I redid her a little bit, with a bit more white on her shirt -- and this is where I must remind myself to purchase more whites because I am running out already.

So after 6 hours working on this piece, here is 'Back to Sankt Radegund', inspired/motivated by my still ongoing recovery from Terrence Malick's 'A Hidden Life'. 




No comments:

Post a Comment