Sunday 30 May 2021

And Now... Norway!

I wasn't initially planning on painting anything today. After breakfast, I jumped right into doing some writing and composing, and I thought that was going to be it.

While taking some time to relax, I came across a photograph of a Norwegian stave church on Instagram, and the mood of the picture, taken during a cloudy day, intrigued me. I was then inspired to attempt this picture with acrylics, with some minor extensions of my own to create a little story around it for myself.

I've added a little character in the lower left part of the piece -- as I am wont to do, as one would notice in some of my pieces.

Here is a picture of me in the middle of the process which I took for my friend to see:

'Stavkirke' in progress

Blocking out the colours was overall alright; I kind of knew what I wanted to go for in terms of the general mood. Putting in the details, on the other hand, took a frightful amount of work, especially the stave church itself. I had to pull out one reference photo from Google as a guide. The one on Instagram that was my inspiration got lost after my feed refreshed.

Once that details of the stave church were done, I was quite relieved and the rest started filling in by themselves around it.

Looking at it now, the painting looked very ominous, like something out of a horror story. And I am quite proud of it.

So here is 'Stavkirke'. 

'Stavkirke', Acrylic on paper, 17cm x 10.5cm


No comments:

Post a Comment