Monday 10 October 2022

Cabin By The Mountain

Cabin By The Mountain
2480 x 3058
SketchBook

I recently came across a glazing demonstration video, and I was quite intrigued by the process. 

For those who are not familiar with it: they would start with an underpainting of the lights and shadows, before adding a layer of semi-transparent paint over them to bring out the tones with more colour.

I thought I'd give this a go in digital, just to see how I would feel about it. I realise that as I write this, it isn't too different from the usual digital painting process that I have used in the past, what with all the layers that we can play around with and whatnot, but this would be my first conscious attempt to do it in this manner. 

So, I started with this as the underpainting, mapping out the tones and at the same time, on the composition of the picture:


It isn't exactly as precise as how it would have been with the real process, but it is a pretty solid start. 

After that, I used a glaze brush to add the translucent colours in, followed by some opaque colours to touch up on the details, and adjust the composition where required. 

By the end, there is definitely satisfaction that came from having achieved something through this process. Much like how I worked on the Postcard painting, to have things structured in the beginning where the foundations are laid and then later -- once things have been set up nicely -- being able to tweak and have a bit of fun with the rest of the process, does make for a great sense of accomplishment, I feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment