Wednesday 26 January 2022

Lurking

#JanuaryDechART
Prompt 30: Liquid

LURKING

SketchBook
1920 x 1440

. . .

When I saw the prompt, the first thing I thought about was sea water and waves, which then got me thinking about mists. So, I started the painting process by blocking in the colours, before going into the details of the water. Here I wanted to really focus on doing the lines right, with lots and lots of patience -- I did this same thing for a much older painting, but I was less patient then, so things ended up really messy and crazy and nonsensical. I must say, I am quite proud with what I have done here.

While I was working on the water, I blocked in the person halfway. I initially gave him a normal hoodie, but after some painting, I decided to put him in a rainsuit with a reflector instead -- I have recently received the exact rainsuit in the mail, too, but haven't got a chance to use it yet. Waiting for a really rainy day to test it out.

Once all of this was done, the negative space in the mist felt a little empty, so I decided to do something there. Things always lurk in mists, don't they? I initially had a few silhouettes of weird creatures painted out (a la Lovecraft and Stephen King's 'The Mist') but they all seemed too obvious and not as ominous as I wanted them to be. In the end, I settled for just two white dots, which was probably the best choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment