Wednesday 22 December 2021

The Losing of Ways

The Losing of Ways
1980 x 1440
SketchBook

. . .

Inspired by VIKINGS

I have done my portrait practices and now it is time that I apply this to what I normally paint, which is landscape with the little guy, only this time, the little guy turns his face the other way. 

I have mostly put off doing it this way because I have never been completely confident with faces, especially on small figures. I tend to get very fixated with the details of the faces so much, it tends to drive me crazy, even more so when the faces always turn up lopsided -- hence the faceless silhouettes most of the time. And that is why I did all those practices and experiments before. It was so that I could get comfortable with painting faces without being so fixated with the details, and focus on how the light reveals the details. 

It was worthwhile practice -- though I must admit I got really self-conscious about making them to a point I started noticing (and needlessly worrying myself over) my follower count dropping. Won’t lie, it bothered me somewhat, and to be fair, the portraits themselves may have bothered a few people too. I shouldn’t care too much about that, though I must confess, part of me felt otherwise, and it was quite uncomfortable. To be fair, it could have been from me just feeling very very self-conscious and becoming hyper-aware about everything -- I may have already been losing some followers in the past already with my experimentations, only I didn’t really care so much. 

Regardless, I didn’t allow myself to cave so quickly; I made myself do a total of three different portraits as practice and learned as much as I could from them.

By the third, I felt like I have had enough -- and I was itching to get back to painting landscape again. 

So here is my latest picture, inspired by a scene from the VIKINGS TV Show where Floki has a sort of spiritual crisis and meltdown in a pond/lake. It is a powerful scene that stuck with me till this day, despite having not returned to the show in a long while. 



No comments:

Post a Comment